Now… BEFORE you turn away, hear me out.
I really wasn’t all for tofu a few years ago. The only kind I had ever had was the soggy kind you get at sushi restaurants and that pretty much counted me OUT from first bite. Texture playing a huge role in that decision. BUT, then I learned it was all in the way you cook it! It can actually be cooked to be dense and crispy… WHAT!
Also, tofu is NOT only for vegans, but for all meat eaters alike! It is a GREAT add into most recipes because it SOAKS up all the flavors that surround it. So, just by adding the right spices you can have anything from a southwest chicken to an Italian meatball. So please just… Try it? For me? (I’ve actually had my super non-vegan family try it and they said it’s really good!! And they’re not one to sugar coat, SCORE!)
This time, we’re going with a breakfast scramble that’s packed full of nutrients and flavor. Serve it up with a side of avocado, fruit, or a slice of Ezekiel sprouted bread and you’ve got yourself the perfect combination! This recipe also makes 4 servings, so it’s a great one to make ahead and stick in the fridge for the mornings you’re extra busy, but still want a nutrient dense and filling breakfast.
And if you’ve never had tofu before, I highly suggest going in with an open mind. Accepting the NEW flavor and knowing it’s not going to MIMIC another one.
- 1 package Extra Firm Tofu (Organic if possible)
- 1 TBSP Olive or Avocado Oil
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper, Chopped
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, Chopped
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced (Or as much as you’d prefer)
- 1/2 C Cherry Tomatoes, Sliced
- 2 Giant Handfuls Spinach
- 1 TBSP Cumin
- 2 TSP Chili Powder
- 1 TSP Thyme
- 1 TSP Turmeric
- 1/2 TSP Paprika
- 1/2 TSP Pepper
- 1/4 TSP Pink Salt
- 1/4 C Nutritional Yeast
- Drain the tofu by taking it out of the packaging and wrapping it in paper towels. Place the tofu on a plate in between two other folded up paper towels. Lay something heavy on top of it, like a large bowl or carton of milk.
- Prepare all veggies. Mix all spices together (EXCLUDING NUTRITIONAL YEAST) in a small cup, set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add bell peppers, onion, and garlic to pan.
- After a few minutes, once vegetables are tender, add tomatoes.
- Once tomatoes are tender, add spinach and cover to steam for 3 minutes.
- For the tofu, remove paper towels and begin to crumble the tofu with a fork. (Trick: Place the tines of the fork flat on the top edge of the tofu and push down, doing this until the entire block is crumbled)
- In a separate sprayed pan over medium heat, add the tofu, stirring consistently.
- Uncover your veggies and stir till they are well combined.
- Grab your spices and add JUST enough water to make a pour-able sauce.
- Combine the tofu with the veggies and pour your spice sauce over the mixture.
- Stir until completely covered.
- Sprinkle on the nutritional yeast and stir until well combined.
- Serve and ENJOY!!
Want MORE Be Confidently You? Be sure to sign up HERE to become a part of the Confident Crew and be the first to receive everything NEW. Plus, you’ll receive my TWO free guides just for joining the team!